At its discretion, the Alexandria Library will provide reasonable space for announcements and notices. Bulletin boards are provided in libraries for the purpose of informing the public of:
- Events and programs sponsored by the Library, Alexandria Library Board, Alexandria Library Foundation or The Friends of the Alexandria Library.
- Postings from the City of Alexandria and other government agencies.
- Events of a civic, cultural, informational, or recreational nature held in the area served by the Alexandria Library and sponsored by community or non-profit organizations or neighborhood groups.
1. A physical copy of all items intended for posting on a library bulletin board must first be submitted for approval by a manager or staff member in charge. Materials left for consideration for posting cannot be held or returned. Due to time constraints, staff is unable to follow-up regarding posting status.
2. Approval will be granted based upon library policy and subject to available space. Dimensions may be restricted to maximize space.
3. All efforts will be made to approve submitted items within 48 hours of the time of submission.
4. Approved items will be dated and removed when they are no longer timely, or when space is required for more current items.
5. Items posted without approval will be removed and discarded.
The following items/types will not be approved for use on bulletin boards:
1. Political campaign materials of a partisan nature urging people to vote for or against a person or an issue.
2. Postings designed for individual or commercial profit or gain.
3. Postings containing content that could be considered discriminatory or harassing based on a group or individual's protected status or which advocates in any way for such discrimination.
4. Undated materials.
The staff is unable to monitor bulletin boards. No assurances can be made that notices will remain posted for a specific period.
Exterior windows are reserved for the exclusive use of the Library, Alexandria Library Board, Alexandria Library Foundation or The Friends of the Alexandria Library.
The Library does not advocate or endorse the viewpoints of organizations permitted to post or distribute information on its bulletin boards. The Library accepts no responsibility for loss or damage to any item accepted for posting or for the accuracy of the information displayed.
In the event that a group or individual would like to challenge the staff’s decision not to display an announcement/notice, a written appeal may be sent to the Library Director.
Revised March 2019, Approved by the City Attorney’s Office May 2019, Approved by the Library Board June 2019 +
Bulletin Board Notice
The Alexandria Library provides space for announcements/notices as a service to the public. All notices must receive staff approval prior to being posted. The Library does not advocate or endorse the viewpoints of organizations permitted to share information and accepts no responsibility for the accuracy of information being displayed.