Meeting Room Regulations
- When not in use for library events or business, the Library’s meeting rooms are available to individuals and organizations for events of an educational, cultural or civic nature.
- Library-sponsored programs will receive first priority after which other applications will be considered as received. The Library reserves the right to cancel a meeting or reschedule if circumstances warrant.
- The fact that a group is permitted to meet at the Library does not in any way constitute an endorsement of the group’s policies or beliefs. Advertisements or announcements by any group implying such endorsement are not permitted.
- Rooms may not be used for personal or commercial interests, or electioneering.
- No fees can be charged to attendees and suggested donation boxes are prohibited.
- No financial transactions may take place in the rooms or the Library with the exception of sales by or through The Friends of the Alexandria Library or sponsored by the Alexandria Library Board or Alexandria Library Foundation.
- No private parties are allowed in Library meeting rooms. This includes showers, receptions, birthday parties and purely social gatherings.
- Groups must check in and check out with staff.
- Rooms are held for 30 minutes after the scheduled reservation start time and then are considered unclaimed and will be made available to others.
- An attendance count must be reported to staff during or immediately following the reservation.
Users of the Alexandria Library meeting rooms must comply with the Rules Governing Use of the Alexandria Library and City of Alexandria, Administrative Regulations, 7-21, Prohibited Conduct and Behavior in City Facilities.
- Groups with members under the age of 18 years must have one adult sponsor present at all times and children must be under direct supervision.
- Group members are asked to leave the meeting room quietly to minimize disruptions for other customers.
- Groups promoting non-library programs may include the Library’s name and address but not the Library’s telephone number. Advertisements cannot suggest Library sponsorship of the organization’s program or contain the Library’s logo.
- Groups must agree to provide any accommodations that are requested in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
- The Library is not responsible for taking registrations for events.
- No petitions may be circulated in library buildings.
- Nothing may be attached to the walls or ceilings.
Failure to observe these regulations may result in expulsion and denial of future reservation requests.
The Library reserves the right to amend the meeting room policy as needed.
Revised June 2018