The Alexandria Library and the For Love of Country Foundation present the Annual Essay and Poetry contest.
Rising 7th, 8th and 9th graders – enter "For Love of Country: In My Own Words," an essay and poetry contest, and win up to $100!
Just create an essay or poem on the topic:
Alexandria Library will distribute multiple awards in each of the following categories:
1) All students entering 7th, 8th and 9th grade, as of September 2022 are eligible for the contest.
2) All work submitted must be original work.
3) One entry per student is permitted (one essay or one poem).
4) Work will be judged based on the following:
Essay will be judged on: originality and creativity, persuasiveness, clarity, coherence and organization, grammar and spelling.
Poetry will be judged on: originality and creativity, relevance to contest topic, clarity and coherence, spelling.
5) Submit one copy of your work online using the form below by September 11, 2022.
6) Essay/poem must be accompanied with a completed cover sheet.
7) The winners will be notified by October; prizes will be awarded during the Awards Ceremony on October 23, 2022 at Beatley Central Library.
8) Essays/poems will not be returned.
Come and enjoy pizza while getting proofing assistance for your submission at the following times and locations:
Date: Thursday, August 4 at 4:00pm
Date: Friday, July 22 at 3:00pm
Date: Thursday, July 14 at 4:00pm
Not quite sure who to write about? Need some extra help when it comes to writing? Check out these resources from the library:
Biography in Context
Biographical essays on the world's most influential people.
Recommendations for biographies. [Access From Home]
Books and eBooks
Books and eBooks
Biographical documentaries from Kanopy
Last Updated: May 2022