What is a "Fixit Clinic"? It's an opportunity for neighbors to help neighbors, teach skills for living all while keeping items out of the landfills and pushing against throwaway culture.
Volunteers will be on hand to help with:
- Blade and knife sharpening
- Bike tune up and maintenance
- Computers and mobile devices
- Electronics and small appliances
- Knit items
- Sewing and stuffed animals
- Yarn detangling
- Watches and clocks
- PLUS at Kids' Take-It-Apart Table (all ages)
Use the Register button to the left to submit your items and help our coaches prepare.
When arriving, visitors will head to the Welcome Table to check in, sign the Liability Waiver and provide information about the item(s) brought.
Fixit Clinic Rules
- Check-in at the welcome desk to sign the liability waiver and get instructions on where to go.
- There is a limit of two items for repair per visitor. More items may be considered as space and time allows.
- A fixit clinic is not a drop-off service. Remain with your item(s) at all times.
- Repair coaches are not liable for damages or unrepaired items brought in. This is a free, community-focused service, not a for-profit event.
- When you are with your repair coach, you can choose to: a) watch as the repair is attempted, b) work with the repair coach or c) attempt the repair yourself under the guidance of a repair coach.
Fixit Clinic Liability Statement
Visitors to the Kate Waller Barrett Branch, Alexandria Library, offer broken items for repair at your own risk; volunteers performing repairs make no guarantees and are not liable for condition of broken items. Volunteer repair coaches reserve the right to refuse repairs on any items deemed unsafe, unrepairable or for any other reason. Repairs are attempted at the volunteer’s discretion.
Interested in getting involved? Please contact Megan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Building resilient communities by conveying critical thinking and troubleshooting skills through repair, Fixit Clinics are do-it-together hands-on fix-n-learn community-based exploration and discovery workshops staffed by volunteer Fixit Coaches who generously share their time, tools and expertise to consult with you on the disassembly, troubleshooting, and repair of items. www.fixitclinic.org
Can't come on May 21? The Charles Beatley Library at 5005 Duke St. will be holding another Fixit Clinic on Saturday, July 9. Check out the Alexandria Library Events Calendar to learn more.