Alexandria Law Library
The Alexandria Law Library provides legal resources for the benefit of the entire Alexandria community, including its citizens, government agencies, local businesses, the judiciary, and members of the bar.
- Staff is available to assist users in locating, accessing, and using resources in the collection.
- Staff may neither provide legal opinions/advice, assist with filling out legal forms, nor interpret the law/legal materials.
- Question regarding interpretation of law or legal materials should be directed to a licensed attorney.
- Visit Find Local Legal Representation for more information about obtaining legal advice and legal representation in Alexandria, Virginia.
Electronic Resources and Services
- Free wireless internet and use of internet computers
- Microsoft Office Suite at designated workstations
- Printing and photocopying for 25 cents per page (cash only)
- Access to various electronic legal forms
- Television with DVD/VCR player rental for trials at the Alexandria City Courthouse ($100 per day)
- Completed rental agreement and receipt of payment necessary in advance of usage
Legal Research Resources
- Free access to LexisNexis and Westlaw patron access
- Virginia-specific collection of primary and secondary legal materials, including legal form books
- Select topic-specific, Maryland, and D.C. secondary resources
- Federal case law and statutory materials
- Materials in the library are for reference only and do not circulate
The library provides select information packets, which include samples*, for purchase (with cash, credit card, or check only). The information packets can be picked up in the library or can be mailed the day following payment for an additional $5.00 fee. *Samples provided serve only as guides to draft documents from scratch.
- Adult name change information packet ($5) contains:
- fill-in-the blank Petition and Order.
- Minor name change information packet ($5) contains:
- fill-in-the blank Petition and Order and
- sample* Notice of Publication.
- Uncontested divorce information packet ($15) contains:
- information on general procedures;
- samples* of Complaint, Final Decree, Addendum for Protected Identifying Information, Acceptance of Service of Process, Affidavit in Support of and Order of Publication, Name Change Order, Waiver of the Service Members Civil Relief Act, Notice of Ore Tenus Hearing, Motion to Amend Complaint, and Leave to Amend Order; and
- filing check list.
- Expungement information packet ($5) contains:
- information on general procedures; and
- samples* of Petition for Expungement and Order of Expungment.