Youth Services Assistant (Library Assistant II)
Part-Time (20 Hours a Week) – Burke Branch Library
The Burke Branch Library is seeking enthusiastic, creative candidates for a Library Assistant II position. The ideal candidate will have exceptional customer service skills and the desire to contribute to a growing Youth Services Department that serves a very diverse community. Under the supervision of the Youth Services Manager, this position is responsible for staffing the Youth Services Desk, planning and presenting programs to children and young adults, maintaining the youth collection and creating displays.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Staffing the Youth Services Desk to assist library users with reference services, library technology, reader’s advisory, and circulation services.
- Providing technology instruction to customers and troubleshooting in the use of the Internet, word processing, computers, printers and copiers.
- Furnishing information about library activities, facilities, rules and services.
- Creating displays and other promotional materials.
- Assisting in developing and maintaining the youth collection.
- Suggesting and evaluating children’s materials.
- Shelving, shelf-reading and conducting other collection management related tasks.
- Assisting customers in choosing and finding Children’s/Young Adult materials.
- Planning and presenting story times for very young children, summer reading programs for up to age 18 and special programs.
- Working and collaborating with tweens and teens, ages 10-18, including those with diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Two-year college degree.
- At least one year of experience at the level equivalent to the Library Assistant I; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Some knowledge of library practices and procedures.
- Familiarity with integrated library and computer systems.
- Knowledge of Children’s/Young Adult literature and programming.
- Excellent command of the English language.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers and customers.
- Applicant must demonstrate patience with children of all ages and their families, teachers and caregivers.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Experience in working with very young children.
- Some teaching experience to provide guidance when using library resources and to assist with technology instruction.
- A passion for serving people from many cultures.
Hours are scheduled to meet the needs of the branch and will include mornings, afternoons, Thursday evenings and rotating Saturdays.
Burke Branch Library, 4701 Seminary Road, Alexandria, VA 22304
Compensation: $17.32 - $19.21 per hour, depending on qualifications.
The City’s promotional policy states that an employee who is promoted will be placed on the pay grade associated with their new job classification on the step held prior to promotion unless the increase exceeds 20%, in which case the employee will receive a salary adjustment of 20% plus placement on the next higher step of the new grade, or the minimum of the new grade, whichever is greater. In no case may the employee's salary exceed the maximum salary of the new pay grade.
Click here to apply attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references, preferably supervisory. Address Cover Letter to Ross Farley, HR Manager, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304. Contact with questions: 703-746-1799, or email@example.com.
Open Until Filled