Branch Manager (Librarian III)
Full-Time/40 Hours a week – Burke Branch Library
The Librarian III is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the City of Alexandria’s Burke Branch Library. The Librarian III supervises the Section Managers of the Burke Branch Library and receives general supervision from the Deputy Director of Libraries.
Position Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepares annual goals and objectives for the Burke Branch Library;
- Plans and coordinates library initiatives at the branch level;
- Supervises staff including delegating duties, assigning special projects, approving leave, evaluating work performance;
- Responsible for overseeing scheduling of staff to fit the needs of the branch including both daily and weekly schedules.
- Interviews, selects and trains staff;
- Schedules, plans and leads monthly meetings with staff;
- Responsible for developing and evaluating adult material collections;
- Interprets library policies, resolves customer complaints and provides library information for the public;
- Writes monthly, annual, and special reports for Library Administration;
- Recommends revising or developing new library policies and procedures for Library Administration;
- Liaison for the Friends of the Library at the Burke Branch Library;
- Plans special library programs at the Burke Branch Library;
- Analyzes the local community for outreach opportunities and partnerships with local non-profit and civic organizations;
- Secures and ensures the security of the building and the safety of employees;
- Reports to Library Administration on any building issues that arise and serves as contact point for General Services on repair and maintenance issues.
- Serves on various committees to assist with implementing library initiatives; and
- Represents the library at regional professional meetings and community meetings.
Skills and Abilities:
- Management and supervisory skills, including team building, time management, and planning; ability to supervise and train professional, paraprofessional and support staff in the various activities of a branch library or a major section of the library;
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, both written and oral;
- Knowledge of integrated library systems and emerging technologies;
- Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with a diverse group of employees and library customers
- Ability to analyze professional and administrative issues and make recommendations for their solution
- Thorough knowledge of professional library principles, methods, materials and practices;
- Thorough professional knowledge of reader interest levels, books and authors, periodical and pamphlet materials and appropriate library guides and publications;
- Ability to utilize electronic databases and computers and to perform database searches;
- Ability to understand and interpret library policies and objectives to community groups, public officials, business and education leaders and the general public; and
- Ability to participate in the development or improvement of professional library methods and standards, and to establish and maintain effective public relations.
- Master’s degree in Library Science from an accredited ALA library school
- 3-5 years supervisory/management experience of professional and paraprofessional staff
- Previous public library experience
- Applicant must possess or obtain, within 3 months of hire, a license to practice as a registered professional librarian issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Active involvement in ALA, PLA and/or other related professional association.
$59,674.68 - $83,655.26
The City’s promotional policy states that an employee who is promoted will be placed on the pay grade associated with their new job classification on the step held prior to promotion unless the increase exceeds 20%, in which case the employee will receive a salary adjustment of 20% plus placement on the next higher step of the new grade, or the minimum of the new grade, whichever is greater. In no case may the employee's salary exceed the maximum salary of the new pay grade.
Earns annual and sick leave and is eligible for health insurance, retirement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and long-term care insurance.
Hours are scheduled to meet the staffing needs of the library, and will include days, evenings, two Saturdays per month, and occasional Sundays at the Beatley Central Library.
Click here to apply attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references, preferably supervisory. Address Cover Letter to Renée DiPilato, Deputy Director of Libraries, Alexandria Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304. Contact with questions: 703-746-1701, or email@example.com.
Open until filled