The Alexandria Library is seeking a self-motivated, outgoing, creative, social media-experienced, hard-working and eager individual to serve as the Communications Assistant. As the Library’s programs and services grow, this is an excellent opportunity for a talented individual to make a difference and be directly involved with critical projects.
The Library Communications Assistant performs public relations/public information work and reports to the Library’s Senior Communications Officer. Work involves writing, editing and planning layout of brochures and flyers, writing articles, press releases, and/or planning and implementing publicity campaigns.
· Assists with communicating important information about Library programs, projects, events, initiatives, services and issues to the residents, employees of the Library and the media;
· Researches, writes, and edits content including press releases, web copy, and marketing collateral;
· Assists with photo and video production and has some experience with Adobe Creative Suite software or similar multimedia editing programs;
· Publicizes upcoming events and exhibitions through use of print and electronic media, including posting information, graphics and links on Library website and social media;
· Assists with creating graphic designs for multiple projects under tight deadlines;
· Creates original concepts, design, images, artwork for print, the Internet and other media;
· Tracks projects, produces internal reports, researches best practices, consults knowledge bases, updates skills, maintains contacts, files and maintains resources, references and image libraries;
· Assists with the physical production and distribution of marketing materials such as bookmarks, posters, etc.;
· Conducts research to respond to inquiries from reporters, staff, and members of the public;
· Answers inquiries by phone and e-mail;
· Performs general support tasks and related work as required.
Salary: $17.55-$28.02 per hour
Benefits: Earns annual and sick leave and is eligible for health insurance, retirement, life insurance, long-term disability insurance and long-term care insurance.
Schedule: 20 hours per week
Location: Beatley Central Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304-2903
Essential Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Knowledge of the preparation of web content, press releases, and informational literature; ability to create and edit various forms of informational materials including graphics, photos, and marketing collateral; ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing; ability to develop and maintain working relationships with the staff and the public.
Two-year college degree with coursework in marketing, public relations, or communications; two years of experience in communications, public relations, public information and graphic production or publications editing work; two years of experience with desk top graphic publishing and experience with writing and editing information for wide distribution under deadlines; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Four-Year College Degree in Communications, Public Relations, or related field; three-five years of experience in a communications department or public relations agency; experience communicating to media and the public.
Click here to apply attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references, preferably supervisory. Address Cover Letter to Linda Wesson, HR Manager, Alexandria Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304. Contact with questions: 703-746-1799, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open until filled
Full-Time (40 Hours a Week) – Duncan Branch Library
Under the supervision of the Branch Manager, the incumbent is responsible for assisting patrons and providing general support for the Adult Services Department, including programming, collection development and outreach.
· Answers all types of reference questions using traditional, electronic, and internet sources in an efficient and courteous manner
· Staffs the information desk to assist library customers in-person and by phone with inquiries regarding library materials and other sources of information
· Assists patrons with the online catalog, electronic reference services, and with automated internet registration and printing
· Interprets policies and procedures of the library to the public
· Furnishes information about library activities, facilities, rules and services
· Assists with maintaining the collection including weeding
· Plans, coordinates and leads diverse programs for the public
· Participates in outreach initiatives in the local community as assigned
· Enters programs in library event planning system
· Provides assistance and coverage in Library locations as needed
· Functions as building officer
· Lends assistance on circulation and youth services desks as needed
· Other duties as assigned
Essential Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Knowledge of reference sources; some knowledge of books and authors
· Ability to instruct patrons using various technologies
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under pressure and adapt to a rapidly changing environment
· Ability to assist a diverse population of patrons in a calm and courteous manner
· Comprehensive knowledge of information resources and adult services
· Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and library patrons
· Excellent customer service and communication skills, both written and verbal
· Knowledge of e-Readers and e-Book mobile applications
· Public library experience
Master's Degree in Library & Information Science from an ALA-accredited school. Applicant must possess or obtain, within 3 months of hire, a license to practice as a registered professional librarian issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Schedule: Hours are scheduled to meet the needs of the library and will include days, evenings, two Saturdays per month, and possibly Sundays as needed.
Salary: $49,596.04 - $87,277.06 (annually)
Benefits: The selected employee will earn annual and sick leave and is eligible for health, dental and vision insurance; life insurance; retirement plans; long-term disability insurance and long-term care insurance.
Location: Duncan Branch Library – 2501 Commonwealth Ave, Alexandria, VA 22301
Click here to apply attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references, preferably supervisory. Address Cover Letter to Linda Wesson, Human Resources Manager, Beatley Central Library, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304. Contact with questions: 703-746-1799, or email@example.com.
Position Closes: 8/19/2022
Full Time - 40 Hours/Week – Burke Branch Library
The Youth Services Manager is responsible for operations of the Burke Branch Library Youth Services Team and reports to the Branch Manager.
· Supervises one part-time Library Assistant and one part-time Library Page.
· Plans, implements and directs youth educational programs, literacy initiatives, partnerships, outreach and volunteer support for the branch.
· Collaborates with the Teen Services Coordinator to plan and implement programs and initiatives for young adults.
· Coordinates collection development and maintenance of children’s materials
· Makes program and collection decisions based on data, which include, but are not limited to program statistics, impact surveys, collection analyses, and system and branch-specific reports.
· Assists children, caregivers, parents, teachers, etc. with requests for information and library materials.
· Coordinates outreach activities with Alexandria City Public Schools, the Department of Recreation, Parks and Cultural Activities, and related organizations providing Youth Services in the community.
· Stays aware of professional trends and continually works to improve youth services.
· Functions as building officer in the Branch Manager’s absence.
· Weeds and updates the collection and evaluates print and digital resources.
· Participates on system Youth Services Committee and other committees.
· Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
· Comprehensive knowledge of children’s and young adult literature, programming and services
· Management and supervisory skills, including team building, time management, and planning
· Excellent communication and customer service skills
· Passionate about public service and outreach to the community
· Knowledge of integrated library systems and technology
· Ability to adapt to a rapidly changing library environment
· Ability to establish and maintain good working relationships with staff
· Ability to work independently as well as part of a team
· Prior supervisory experience is preferred
Master's Degree in Library & Information Science from an ALA-accredited school; at least five years of experience in professional library work, including three or more years of experience in a supervisory capacity at the level of Librarian I; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Applicant must possess or obtain, within 3 months of hire, a license to practice as a registered professional librarian issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Foreign languages skills preferred.
Salary: $54,680.86 - $96,226.52 Annually
Earns annual and sick leave and is eligible for health insurance, retirement, life insurance, long-term disability and long-term care insurance.
Location: 4701 Seminary Road, Alexandria, VA 22304
Hours are scheduled to meet the staffing needs of the Burke Branch, and will include days, evenings and two Saturdays per month.
Click here to apply attaching one document containing a cover letter, resume and three (3) professional references, preferably supervisory. Address Cover Letter to Linda Wesson, HR Manager, 5005 Duke Street, Alexandria, VA 22304. Contact with questions: 703-746-1799, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Open until filled