Alexandria Historic Restoration & Preservation Commission


Records, 1951 - [ongoing] (bulk, 1962-1971)
Box 290, 4 boxes, (2 linear ft.)

Biographical/Historical Note: The Alexandria Historic Restoration and Preservation Commission, usually called the Preservation Commission, was established by an Act of the Virginia Legislature in 1962.   The five member Commission was given authority to regulate restoration or new construction in the Old Town section of Alexandria.

Most of the records in the collection originally belonged to Captain Earl Kendall Van Swearingen (ret.), the first Chairman of the Commission.   Captain Van Swearingen's wife, Maria Eleanore Van Swearingen, was the chief researcher for the Commission and many of the items involving research were originated by her.

Scope and Content Note: The collection includes organizational papers reports, minutes, correspondence, news clippings and other materials documenting the Commission's formation, relationships to other volunteer organizations and various projects and concerns.   In particular there are files relating to the Carlyle House, the Carlyle Apartments, the Lloyd House, the Lyceum and other historic properties.

Other files include material about the City of Alexandria; specifically the Board of Architectural Review, the Historic Landmark Register, the City Planning Commission, the Gadsby Urban Renewal Project, the Height Limits Proposal and other city ordinances, and the Sister City Committee.

Files on related organizations include the Alexandria Association, the Alexandria Tourist Council, the National Register, the Virginia Historic Landmarks Commission, the Historic Alexandria Foundation and the Old Town Civic Association.

Arrangement: Arrangement is by function and subject and thereunder is organized chronologically with the oldest materials in the forefront.

Source: These papers, relating essentially to the first ten years of the Commission, were deposited by the Commission at Lloyd House before 1988.

Subjects: Urban Renewal-Virginia-Alexandria;   The Carlyle House (Alexandria, Va.);   Historic buildings-conservation and restoration-Virginia-Alexandria;   The Lloyd House (Alexandria, Va.);   The Lyceum (Alexandria, Va.)

Dereka Smith, Spring Intern, 1993


Return to Front Page